Bookmark Content and Communications is looking for an Executive Editor, Air Canada enRoute to join our team in Toronto.
Bookmark is a full-service global marketing agency that combines content and communications to create multi-platform programs for luxury and lifestyle brands, such as Air Canada, Lindt and Tourism Toronto. Our content is distributed in more than 180 countries worldwide; we pride ourselves on our understanding of local cultures on a global platform.
As our Executive Editor, Air Canada enRoute, you’ll be responsible in overseeing the editorial operations of Air Canada enRoute in tandem with the Editor-in-Chief. The editor acts as the guardian of the enRoute tone and voice, plans editorial lineups, leads the feature well and directs departments in the magazine, manages junior staff and replaces the Editor-in-Chief as the final decision maker when needed.
Reporting: Reports to the Editor-in-Chief, Air Canada enRoute.
- Produce compelling storytelling that enriches the audience experience and delivers on Air Canada’s objectives.
- Help shape and implement the new editorial strategy.
- Develop, commission and edit stories across all enRoute sections, with a strong focus on features.
- Contribute to the publication with writing, story hunting and pitching.
- Handle English inside checklists, and enter fact-checking and copy-editing changes on English-language files.
- Play a key role during production.
- Work with the art team to ensure the enRoute look and feel amplifies the strong storytelling.
- Consult on other Air Canada Media initiatives when necessary.
- Mentor junior staff and oversee their work.
- Participate in and sometimes lead regular story pitch meetings.
- Initiate post-mortems to troubleshoot any roadblocks.
- Occasionally liaise with the accounts team to ensure client objectives are met.
- In collaboration with the Editor-in-Chief and the Managing Editor, keep an eye on deadlines and budgets.
- Liaise with the Exec Editor, Digital and Integrated Brand to vet ideas for advertiser integration.
- Assist the EIC to develop new business opportunities and potential content partnerships.
- Foster and grow relationships with freelancers and PR representatives around the world.
- Represent enRoute at industry events.
- Travel as needed for both internal and external meetings and events.
- Participate in and supports business development efforts on behalf of the agency, as needed.
- An impressive C.V. with five to seven years’ experience on the editorial staff of a print or digital media outlet, commissioning. and editing feature stories and editorial packages.
- Published clips demonstrating exceptional storytelling.
- Experience in managing junior editorial staff, as well as vetting and hiring freelance writers, translators, copy editors and proofreaders.
- A roster of domestic and international writer contacts.
- An impeccable grasp of the finer points of editing, along with a flair for writing punchy display copy.
- The ability to work in a bilingual environment (French, English).
- A BA degree, a journalism degree and/or professional publishing courses are a plus.
- Experience handling French/English translations is a plus.
Bookmark Content and Communications
Executive Editor, Air Canada enRoute